Tuesday 30 October 2012

Prittlewell - First Pen & Ink


Prittlewell Southend Essex
Prittlewell Essex

Fresh from Billericay School I studied at Southend-on-Sea College of Art & Technology in Carnarvon Road.

My first drawing teacher was a lovely white bearded illustrator by the name of Reg Gray. He was a sweet natured man, quiet and patient. His ability to draw creatures, naming bones and muscle groups that held them together and make them function amazed me. Every flick of his pencil seemed to have purpose and description. Brilliant. His knowledge of living creatures knew no bounds. Since the advent of the internet many years later I have discovered that he illustrated some of the comics and books that I enjoyed so much, but I never knew at the time which is a shame.

It was on a outdoors drawing expedition of Reg's that I sketched this picture at the tender age of 17 years old. It was probably the first time I drew a building with dip pen and ink looking through my sketchbook. St Mary's, Prittlewell, was a 5 minute walk from the college and I can tell from my sketch it was a sunny day. I remember being pleased with the result and pen and ink became a favourite technique.

Thanks Reg for any ability or technique that rubbed off on me, wherever you are. Respect.



Please Choose
St Mary's Prittlewell, Essex
Hand signed A4 Print of pen sketch on Bockingford 190gsm watercolour paper £14.99
© Robert R Wisdom www.theartofengland.co.uk 2012