Friday 28 September 2012

Colchester Castle illustration

Drawing the castle in Colchester whilst perched on a couple of chairs in the rose beds, my 9 year old daughter and I are visited by an old lady keen to see our sketches.

She tells us of her own art and complements us both on our drawings and shows us a tin of what she has bought for lunch. It's nice to connect with the scene - the people and the sounds. This is why I think drawing a scene is more fulfilling than photography in many ways. As I finish my artwork I can hear my son's remembrance day drill with the air cadets finishing just behind me to mark an anniversary of the end of the Battle of Britain. This is England.

Each of my illustrations reminds me of the time I spent recording it more than a photo ever could. Colchester Castle never fails to delight - the squirrels ever present and friendly are a delight to watch and feed. We shall return.

illustration of Colchester Castle
Colchester Castle


Please Choose

Hand signed A4 Print of pen and marker sketch on Bockingford 190gsm watercolour paper £14.99
Original 12' x 9" pen and marker sketch on 140lb water colour paper £125
© Robert R Wisdom www.theartofengland.co.uk 2012